Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Life is a Textured Simplicity Knit Scarf

Over the course of an evening back in June spent at a gal's home who I didn't know with other gals I didn't know well , it came to be know that I knit. Immediately the four other wives decided then and there that we would start a knitting club and that I would be the teacher. So, for the past few months, I've been getting to know some gals through teaching them to knit.

Each month, we set the date and our excitement grows. When the evening comes, we arrive sans kids and toting goodies, we boast about what we've accomplished on our projects since the last meeting. We share frustrations and joys, failures and successes, knitting and life. It's a group of girls that I had originally known as acquaintances because of our husbands and as the months have passed they have become a great group of friends. We come from different walks of life, different stages of marriage and familyhood, but we all have one thing in common...a passion for knitting, sharing life and building relationships.

As I prepared my guest blogging series on Learn to Knit, I kept thinking of my knitting club friends. Our relationships are complex yet simple. We discuss the mundane and the deep. We share and intertwine our lives. I kept coming back to this idea that no matter how complex a relationship becomes, it's always built upon the simple things: a phone call, an e-mail, a letter, a coffee date, a knitting club get-together. So, I dedicate this scarf to these girls whom I've come to love. As we share something simple: learning to knit, we build something beautiful: a friendship. And like all good things in life, it comes free and holds the promise of joy.


1 comment: