Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Knitting Thrills

I go in cycles of what I love most about knitting. Sometimes it's casting on a beginning a new project. There's excitement in embarking on a new adventure. Granted sometimes I feel like I'm on the USS Enterprise and I've no idea where the next journey will take me or what challenges I might face (Good thing I can always look to Cpt. Picard for revolutionary advice!). Most of the time, though, I've got a good idea of what lays ahead and it's a rush to see the project unfold row by row.

Other times, I get so excited over finishing a project that I'll stay up until 1am just get my piece bound off. I always try to wait to seam when my eyes and head are clear...otherwise the results may not be so great. When I'm just a few inches away from finishing an object, my heart begins to race, I bounce around in my seat, and my palms get sweaty. I just can't handle the anticipation. Go, fingers, go! Make those needles fly! If a stranger just walked in, they may think I'm about to go on my first date. Thank goodness that awkward stage is long past and I'm happily married now with kids in tow. Whew! My latest finished project, Reve by Stephanie Rothshild, was completed on my recent family vacation. This was great because I had lots of time to relax and knit. Plus, I didn't have to worry about waking up at the crack of dawn with the kids (hooray for hubby!) so I could stay up as late as I wanted!

Currently, my most favorite part of knitting is dreaming up the design. I use the Stitch 'n' Bitch Knitter's Design Journal to plan my projects - sorry for the language but it's the name. I'm not the greatest artist in the world. I've no formal schooling, my attempts at people are eye-gouging and my inability to draw anything multi-dimensional is truly embarrassing. All that aside, I don't think you need to be an artist to dream up a gorgeous knit. Granted, it helps, but it's not necessary. I dream in real life - not life-like sketches and so often write the pattern based on a very basic outline with descriptions for the different sections. Right now, I'm working on a throw based off the fantastically simple Textured Simplicity Knit Scarf. Working with simpler stitch patterns, throwing in intarsia and picking up so the sections are multi-directional will give the Textured Simplicity Knit Throw a gorgeous feel, intricate appearance and easy-on-the-needles appeal! I'm so excited to nail down my pattern and knit my sample...a gift for my cousin Jen's newly adopted little boy!

What part of knitting thrills you? Is is beginning a new project? Finishing one? Showing it off? Dreaming up a new design? Writing out the pattern? What makes your palms sweat?

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I totally feel you on that binding off excitement :) In general my favorite part is getting past whatever the "hard part" is in the pattern! A lot of times in my hats its the fancy brim. Other times it might be when I get to the point of decreasing (because then I know the end is near)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me as a beginning knitter it's exciting when I can knit a week or so without needing help to fix what I'm doing wrong! :) I can't wait to be more experienced!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete