Thursday, October 8, 2009

I love Stitches!

I will repeat that again...I love Stitches. I just signed up for Stitches West 2010 and I'm already trying to plan my route in my head of how I'll go through the vendors. I'm making up my list in my head of yarns I've got to see and touch. I always love the Socks That Rock booth. It's got to be the smallest on the floor and the most popular. People are grabbing for this, reaching for that, oohing and aahing over lush yarns in incredible colorways.


Next, I always hit Webs. Their selection is incredible and their prices are fantastic for budget knitters like myself. I love to shop here especially when I'm knitting for my kids because I don't want to buy super expensive yarn that takes all my mental capacities to figure out how to wash it without ruining it. My kids are just not ready to care for a handknitted garment the way I want them to. Granted they are 3 and 1 so maybe in a few years they'll be able to handle a nice scarf. For right now, I'm sticking with easy care, economical, long-lasting yarns that my kids can't ruin unless they try really hard.

There are so many booths and vendors that offer incredible hand-dyed yarns that I just don't have access to here in Modesto that Stitches is like a carnival. I want to do and see everything right now! My eyes are wide with anticipation, my palms start to sweat and I think, "Quick, Melissa! Race because someone just might get the last skein of the perfect yarn and you'll miss out!"

Good thing my dear sister-in-law is there to keep me in check. This is what I love most about Stitches. I get to spend time with one of my best friends in a place where we are surrounded by our shared passion. We can't wait to see Rick Mondragon and the Fashion Show...it's always a highlight. During dinner afterward we sit and watch all the people around us and are always amazed at the fact that we are in the midst of hundreds and thousands of people who are at a knitting convention. For some reason, that phrase always doubles my friends over in laughter. I chuckle outloud but in my head I'm thinking, "You may think it's funny now, but when you need that knitted blanket for your neices birth, I know who you're not getting one out of!" Ok, so (Here we are with my daughter at Stitches
I wouldn't really withhold knitted items but still, West 2009 in line for the Fashion Show)
it's nice to imagine I've got that kind of control.

Back to Stitches and my sister-in-law. She makes me go slowly through the marketplace and enjoy each vendor for the opportunities they offer. We always come with one specific goal: she keeps me from buying yet more green yarn (I'm obsessed) and I help her add any color but black (she's obsessed) to her wardrobe. We know each others style of knitting and spot yarns that would be great for the other's next project. We critique, we compare, ponder, we crunch numbers, we dream. We laugh, we enjoy the fashion show, we share room service. We spend time together strengthening our relationship and relaxing in each other's company.

Some say that home is where the heart is. Then I say that for me, there is a time every year where my home is at the Hyatt Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. I'll see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment